Wednesday, March 10, 2010

OIL DERRICK TABLE


The little boats are made from scrap wood from other projects. I made four of them and gave one to the daughter of a neighbor who is sick.
As for the table, the legs are stained green and angled up like an oil rig. Those circles are made from green marble and were cut out by hand from a 3/8" x 12" x 12" square that I bought from the Habitat for Humanity resale store for 69 cents. When I made this table I was trying to symbolize the new standard of green energy cars to come. The green circles representing engine cylinders. But now I see them more as little lakes with the boats on them. It sits in our living room by the window. The boats I often think of as the Santa Maria, the Pinta and the Nina or Mayflower or whatever. If you like the table stay tuned as I plan to post pictures of other tables that I have made. One is like this one but has kind of a church symbol inset in it. The other is a coffee table with and laminated X Wing Pattern. There is a bar table with daisy petal legs, a coffee table made from the wood of my fathers old desktop that was cracked and another table with Turkey feathers inlaid as well as a checkerboard. Plus countless others to list all at once.
Most of the wood I use is "secondhand". It must be cleaned carefully and thoroughly with reference to modular utility once it is cut to size. Once you try it I am sure that you will find re purposing wood as rewarding as I do.
Thomas Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment